You can now pay tuition online!
We have added an online payment option for Youth Symphony tuition this year! Click the link below and you will be directed to a page where you can either pay partial tuition for the fall season or full tuition for the year. Please enter the same general information that you entered in your Registration Google Doc so that we can identify your account more easily.
About Western Piedmont Youth Symphony
The Western Piedmont Youth Symphony is a full orchestra of young musicians that meets weekly in the fall and spring to grow as musicians and learn to play as one group.
The WPYS, conducted by Maestro David Wortman performs two concerts a year. Auditions are required. The Youth Symphony practices on Monday evenings. For more information, contact [email protected]
FALL AUDITIONS FOR YOUTH SYMPHONY 2020-2021 SEASON!
The Western Piedmont Youth Symphony will be meeting this fall in a limited capacity with strings only.
This accomplishes two goals: it eliminates the aerosol spread concerns associated with wind instruments, and it reduces our numbers to what can be managed within recommended guidelines. This is a radical decision, but we have read the appropriate research studies and made every plan possible to continue the group and still keep everyone safe. Wind and percussion players: we hope things will be back to normal in the spring, and we are working on some virtual opportunities for you during this time. We have not forgotten you!
- String instruments only
- Everyone will be spaced in an individual 6' x 6' block
- Everyone will wear a mask at all times while in the building
- There will be no sharing of equipment, ie, stands, instruments, chairs, etc.
- We will rehearse 5-6:15pm with no break
- Director will wear a mask and use a microphone to prevent possible spread
- Ventilation systems will remain on during rehearsal times to constantly refresh air
- We will still be in the Keiser Community Room on Monday nights
- Tuition will remain at $130 or $65 per semester
- September 14 is when placement audition videos are due - please send to either David Wortman at [email protected] or Chris Coffey at [email protected]
- September 21 will be our first rehearsal
- November 23 will be our concert, or other culminating event. We hope it will be some sort of live concert or event, but depending on infection rates, etc, it may have to be a virtual event.
- submit one unedited video to David (or Chirs) by September 14. Those received after that date will be placed at the bottom of the section.
- clearly state your first and last name, and your instrument
- play three scales as follows: violin, viola, and cello play C, G and D major, up to three octaves. Bass play C and D one octave, G two-octave. (These scale requirements are aligned with All-State requirements)
- play one piece of your choice. Choose something that shows your skills, but you can play well.
- sight-reading will not be possible this year. Finally, something positive resulting from Covid! 🙂
Western Piedmont Youth Symphony Schedule
Rehearsal and Concert Schedule 2020-2021 Season
All rehearsals will be held in Keiser Community Room from 5:00 - 6:15 pm unless noted otherwise.
November 23 - Concert or Culminating Event